Thursday, September 18, 2014

A note on this blog (and blogger)

Hi, I'm Fijiaaron.  Aaron Evans, that is.  This is my blog about using a Mac.

A long time ago, I started a blog (fijiaaron.blogspot.com) when I moved to Fiji.  It started as a travel blog to save on sending separate emails to my mom and girlfriend.  One day, I abandoned Blogger in favor of Wordpress (fijiaaron.wordpress.com).  I still blog over there, but it's mostly a technical blog.  "Fijiaaron" has become my moniker, not just on my blog, but on twitter, stackoverflow, github, and just about everywhere else I'm online.

I'm a software developer specializing in test automation and cloud testing solutions.  I have my own consulting business, One Shore and work remotely from all over the world.   I'm currently in Utah, but thinking about moving again.

This morning I pulled my unused MacBook Pro off the shelf, and tried to start it up -- so I could play videos on YouTube for my kids.  But it wouldn't boot.  It wanted to restore from backup -- or reinstall OS X "Mavericks".  I eventually got it started (hint, you need to make sure the system date & time are correct), and decided I should give this little mac a chance.

And then I decided I should write about it.  But I didn't want to clutter up my main fijiaaron blog.  So I did what any sane person would do.  I registered a domain (monthofmac.com) and started to setup Wordpress. But, frustrated to get started, I went ahead and started typing on Wordpress (monthofmac.wordpress.com.)

Ideas started flowing, but I wanted to try to experiment with SEO, keywords, and other marketing techniques that I've been reading about, so I figured what I would do is keep my main site, use Wordpress for actual user experience, and use blogger for more freeform posts, including unfinished ideas.

So, not only am I going to use a Mac for a month for my development work -- as much as possible, I'm going to spend a month learning about and experimenting with web traffic, analytics, etc, and interacting with a community I don't normally interact with.

This (monthofmac.blogspot.com) will be my blog about those experiments.


No comments:

Post a Comment